It was only 3 short months ago that I received my first blogger award ever. It was from this wonderful blogger – Allison. I remember how it felt then. I felt noticed for my WRITING, which is exactly why I came here to WordPress.
Since then I had the honor of becoming “freshly pressed,” which is similar to being in a parade and having confetti thrown at you, but you have to answer each piece of confetti and say “thank you.” So, it’s wonderful and exhausting all at once.
After that, I felt like I really gained an audience. So, I like these awards because I think they give a writer confidence in that lonely beginning period and they help to keep you motivated. That being said, though, my life has gone completely crazy – in such a good way – since starting this blog. Keeping up with my one-a-day posts has been a great deal of (rewarding) work. I’m really happy with the outcome so far. The only loser in this situation has been my awards. I’m very thankful (and grateful) to the people who have given them, but I’ve also been lax about doing my awesome-award duties. I suppose, after a while, there’s something about these awards that feels a little like being trampled while exiting a Great White concert. It’s a rush, but sh*t you barely make it out alive. That doesn’t mean I’m not grateful. Because I am! I love you all and I love these awards, so keep ‘em coming, if you like. I just may have to answer them all in one felt swoop, as I am doing so now.
So, here are the wonderful people who have given me these gorgeous awards, in no particular order…weebles, carrie, lilmiss, j85, urbannight, cauldrons, luwi, alundeberg, and gillian colbert. (Also, if I missed you and you gave me a darned award, let me know and i’ll link to your buns in a future post.)
Now, I know I’m supposed to display them all in my sidebar, but the idea of finding them all and uploading them individually gave me heartburn. So, instead I created this word cloud on wordle with all of the people who nominated me and the awards they nominated me for:
You’ll see one dirty word in there. That’s because Weebles said to me, “I know you already have an xx of awards already…” and I included that dirty word as an award. Tell me if you can guess what it is in the comments section below.
I’ve decided we should also add one more award to the fire and I’d like to give that award to all of you, right now. I call it the:
UNCHECK THAT FECKEN’ BOX BELOW YOUR COMMENT IF YOU DON’T WANT TO DROWN IN EMAIL BECAUSE WORDPRESS WANTS TO SEE IF YOU’RE PAYING ATTENTION Award.
For short, I call it the, “UNCHECK ME. UNCHECK ME OR ELSE.” Award.
Here’s what it looks like:
Lastly, it seems that a lot of these awards come with stipulations. You have to nominate other people. For that, I say check my comments section and follow anyone there. They are all cool. Or hit my growing ‘reggies’ section. I nominate all of them as well. The other thing you usually have to do is say 7 things about yourself. So, I’m going to end this post with that.
7 Things You Wouldn’t Know About Me:
1. This blog has led to TWO, that’s right, TWO writing jobs for me. I’ve talked about the first one here, I’ll talk about the second one soon.
2. We’re having our little house (lodge) painted right now, so I’ve banished myself to a Starbucks to post and write. Little does Starbucks know, but they’ve become the co-work space for those who don’t want to pay for office space. Lol. I love you Starbucks. Please watch this video in their honor. It got the Starbucks employee who created it – fired!
3. I like to answer ALL of my comments. That’s right, all of them. I have unanswered comments, here – on this post, and it’s bugging the shit out of me. The good news is that as travellady said, “It was just nerves…” because my agent really likes my book proposal. Now, I have to finish the feckin’ thing.
4. BOTH my brother and I are gay. We have conservative parents. I hold us up as an example that this sexuality sh*t must have some kind of genetic component because, well, we love our parents and wouldn’t do this to them if we didn’t firmly believe that this kind of stuff is pretty immutable. That being said, I am VERY proud of my brother and myself. We live our lives as we are, authentically, and I think that’s pretty cool.
5. I karaoke in Spanish. I tend to do songs from either Ricky Martin or Marc Anthony. It usually causes a stir because no one expects it from someone who looks like me. I also sing like a squirrel and dance around like a person with an electrical charge surging through their body. I promise you, it’s a show-stopper, every time.
6. I have never owned a car.
7. I have an enormous big toe. I swear it. It’s huge. In college, they used to call me, “b.t.”. My mother says it’s because “our forefathers used to climb trees with their bare feet to get the coconuts and that’s why we have these wide feet and big toes.” I love that she says that because she turned our weirdness into an awesome story. I think every parent should do that for their kids – turn their insecurities into amazingness.
That’s it for today, my lovelies. I hope you are all well and thriving.
Sweet Mother is updated daily. If you’d like to follow this blog, you can do so by clicking the “follow” button at the top of the page.
You might also like: